RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations.

If you employ people you should be aware of your duties under The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA).

If you are not aware of your duties, you are already in breach and need to speak with your health and safety advisor.

The HASAWA allows for the creation of Regulations and there are around 100 in existence at present. Regulations are The Law and there is no wriggle room for non-compliance.

This Blog is intended to give a brief overview of the duties of employer’s, the self-employed, and those in control of a work premises where an incident occurs as required under RIDDOR. So what needs to be report?

  • All deaths to workers and non-workers, with the exception of suicides, must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.
  • Specified injuries to workers, for example: most fractures, amputations, permanent loss of sight, crush injury to the head or torso, scalping, loss of consciousness. Not exhaustive.
  • Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker.
  • Non-fatal accidents to non-workers (e.g. members of the public)
  • Occupational diseases, for example: hand-arm vibration syndrome, any occupational cancer, carpal tunnel syndrome. Not exhaustive.
  • Dangerous occurrences. There are 27 categories of dangerous occurrences that are relevant to most workplaces, for example: the collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment, the accidental release of any substance which could cause injury to any person. Not exhaustive.

Gas incidents are a special case so please see RIDDOR for a full explanation.

Each category has its own specific reporting timescales and these need to be complied with to avoid prosecution. It is also important to understand that not all accidents and near misses need to be reported to the enforcing authority. It is therefore important that you have access to competent health and safety advice.

The HSE does not operate a telephone helpline for general health and safety information so if you have a question regarding a potentially reportable incident under RIDDOR, speak to a professional.
For more information on RIDDOR you may want to visit and download the regulations, using this address:


For more info, please get in touch.